I dropped by an old friend’s place a couple of weeks ago to demo one of my favourite games, Infinity, for him. Of course, he was immediately interested and is doing what he can to sell one of his Warhammer 40k armies and pick up some Infinity figures. Don’t worry, he still has a couple of other armies so he hasn’t dropped Games Workshop or anything. After seeing the paint job on my Sgt Duroc, he took a blister out and handed it to me to see what I could do with it. Inside the unopened package was a Finecast model of one of the larger monstrous creature Games Workshop had designed for their Lord of the Rings line, specifically Gûlavhar, The Terror of Arnor.
I’ve gotten too used to really nice plastic, metal, and resin models from other companies. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with the original sculpt. It’s suitably creative and creepy, and definitely adds to the terrifying atmosphere of the Angmar forces. Also, the Finecast does a reasonable job of holding some very sharp details. In this case it’s all about the cast. Not only did I find the odd bubble, the different parts didn’t fit together hardly at all. There were large gaps and even some pieces broken off. Some were still in the package, but some either were missing in the original cast or broke off before packing. Check these examples out:
This gap was so extreme... really inexcusable among the current industry standards, in my opinion.
I should also note that the claw at the end of one of the wings was broken off as well.
Now, at the same time as they released their first Finecast products, Games Workshop also release what’s known as Liquid Greenstuff. They advertise this stuff as “the ideal tool for filling in small gaps on a miniature.” So, though there are some obviously large gaps on this model, I figured I could at least use the Liquid Greenstuff to fill the smaller gaps, bubbles, and seams. Yeah…. Not a great review of this product either. Even using the thickest bits of the Liquid Greenstuff on the smallest of gaps didn’t really make any difference. It looked fine at first, but once it dried I might as well have just painted the seams with acrylic paint. The effect would have been the same. So a few nights later I just went back to the old standby and used the real Greenstuff and some sculpting tools to do what I could about the flaws. I’m satisfied, but not entirely happy with the process and the results.